Did you know that business cards have been around for hundreds of years?! That’s right – business cards date back to the 15th century, originating in China. They were known as “visiting cards” at that time and were used to announce the holder’s intention of visiting a person or household. The cards were left at the door by the visitor, giving the resident the opportunity to decide if they wanted to allow a meeting.
A type of business card was used in the 17th century in Europe as well, and were dubbed “calling cards”. Gentlemen would use their card to contact ladies, and a well-designed card would help them climb the social ladder.
Finally, in the late 17th century and early 18th century, business cards started to evolve into what we see today. Businesses would trade cards that were about the size of a common playing card to advertise their services and location. Back then there were no addresses, so the back would contain a map to the business’s location, with the front flaunting promotional information.
Today, business cards remain a crucial self-promotional tool. An astonishing 27 million business cards are printed each and every day, with around 88% of those going directly into the trash after they get handed to their recipient. How do you prevent this from happening? We have a few tips:
- Make it stand out. You only have about 2 seconds to make a winning first impression, so avoid boring! Business cards come in all shapes and sizes, use one that makes sense for your company and that is unique to you.
- Have a clear message. Don’t confuse your recipient by advertising more than one kind of service on your card, or multiple businesses.
- If using a photo, use a professional one. This is the time to splurge on a professional headshot.
- Keep it easy to read by using a legible font.
- Include your contact information. This includes your name, address, phone number, email, and website.
- Have a balanced layout. Using both sides of the card is a great way to ensure you include all of the information you need, just make sure your card doesn’t get too cluttered and that there is sufficient negative space.
- Include your logo! This is a very important, but often overlooked, element to include on your business card.
Make an impact with your business card by letting our experts provide you with an eye-catching design! Contact us today at 605-716-5666!